This position is responsible for both supporting the clinical workflow in the team-based care model while also performing a variety of tasks to assist in the delivery of quality patient care. Patient care is performed with a commitment to provide high standards of professionalism, ethics, truthful actions and personal responsibility.
Provide patient care with utmost customer service, compassion, and integrity to patients/clients in a clinic setting.
Excellent and competitive benefits package offered which includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. Company matching retirement plan and generous paid time off to include vacation and sick leave accruals starting from the date of hire.
• Works with Director of Nursing to develop curriculum and content of annual skills fair.
• This job description shall include but not necessarily limited to, the above duties. Candidate may temporarily perform other duties as assigned to maintain operations and services.
• Work as part of a cohesive and innovative clinical care team to provide support for providers.
• Follow up with patients, including reminding them of referral appointments, addressing barriers, and providing information and support; work together with providers on patient follow up and trouble shooting.
• Assist in patient prioritization – calling patients who need to be seen, reschedule and work with staff and providers to determine need.
• Identify system, workflow and operational opportunities and make recommendations for improvements Provide extra support/light case management for high needs referrals.
• Work alongside patient care teams to determine best needs of patients and to focus on patient populations, develop processes to better care for these identified patients
• Identify gaps/barriers in care, coordinate services across a multidisciplinary medical model and promote optimal utilization of resources.
• Review individual patient electronic records and assist the clinical staff in coordinating specialty care appointments and for healthcare needs at times this may include assisting care coordination team in servicing a high risk/need patient for specialty services.
• Responsible for total coordination and processing/reporting of all patient referrals for specialty services
• Follows protocols for proper pre/authorization, processing of all referrals and medication assistance programs
• Completes all administrative functions associated with referral activities and ensures that referrals are addressed in a timely manner by completing status updates via Nextgen i.e., “closing the loop of service”
• Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation of referrals via Nextgen, including the maintenance of the specialty referral network
• Provide appropriate patient clinical information to specialist per referral guidelines
• Follow protocols for proper pre/authorization, processing of all referrals and medication assistance programs.
• Communicates with the patient on a timely basis for all scheduling requirements and reminds patients of scheduled appointments via mail or phone
• Ensure that patient’s primary care chart is up to date with information on specialist consults, hospitalizations, and ER visits
• Ensure complete and accurate reporting information including patient demographics, referral success and improved patients’ outcomes
• Responsible for monitoring all referral summary reports not received and timely follow-up in accordance with NTACHC policy and procedure
• Serve as the primary knowledge source for resources on specialty care
• Other duties as assigned
• Courteous, honest and professional at all times.
• Able to communicate and relate well with providers and clinical staff.
• Efficient, organized and accurate.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills in a complex environment.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal relationship and customer service skills.
• Good organizational and time management skills
• Good working knowledge of local social service resources or skills to acquire and use this knowledge and information expeditiously.
• Ability to recognize and respect cultural diversity of patients.
• Serve as the communication liaison between patient and physician. Capable of documenting patient communication and clinical treatment accurately and appropriately.
• Recognize and respond effectively to verbal, nonverbal, and written communication.
• Ability to follow established policies and procedures dealing with health care.
• Comply with established risk management and safety procedures.
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and health care team.
• Must respect the confidential nature of medical information.
• Working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Able to work efficiently and cope with emergency situations.
• Capable of using experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Good computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Able to read and interpret documents such as charts, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Professional manner and appearance.
• Emotional and physical health sufficient to meet the demands of the position.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time. Strength sufficient to: lift some patients, move heavy equipment on wheels (up to approximately 250 lbs.), and to move patients in wheelchairs and stretchers
• Certified Medical Assistant
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) highly preferred
• 2-3 years of experience working in a clinical setting – REQUIRED
• Prior knowledge on referral coordination-PREFERRED
• Experience with NextGen Healthcare System or other Electronic Medical Record system preferred
• Must be computer literate and have exceptional telephone skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with patients and all levels of personnel in a professional, courteous and effective manner using excellent customer service skills
• MUST possess excellent communication and organizational skills with the ability to multi task, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
Typical Physical Demands
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions associated with this position. Because we are committed to inclusion of those with disabilities, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions associated with their position.
• Carrying: Transporting an object, usually by hand, arm or shoulder.
• Lifting: Raising or lowering an object 25-50 pounds.
• Repetitive Motions: Making frequent movements with a part of the body.
• Requires working under stressful conditions or working under irregular hours.
• Exposure: To communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinical environment.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to work in a moderate noise level in the work environment is required.