Eligibility Screener - Patient Assistant Representative
Performs patient registration. Responsible for third party coverage verification. Ability to explain patient responsibility including insurance, sliding fee scale, Medicaid, Medicare, and special programs. Identifies opportunities for back billing of previous visits based on new insurance or Medicaid verification and forwards information to appropriate person.
Excellent and competitive benefits package offered which includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. Company matching retirement plan and generous paid time off to include vacation and sick leave accruals starting from the date of hire.
- Performs patient registration.
- Screen for sliding fee scale eligibility.
- Responsible for third party coverage verification.
- Ability to explain patient responsibility including insurance, sliding fee scale, Medicaid, Medicare, and special programs like Family Planning & Expanded Primary Health Care Program
- Identifies opportunities for back billing of previous visits based on new insurance or Medicaid verification and forwards information to appropriate person.
- Properly performs appointment processing to include pulling and preparing medical records the day before scheduled appointment.
- Collects appropriate co-pays, co-insurance and sliding fee scale portions during registration and or exiting patient.
- Check In patients.
- Request records for patients.
- Submit records requested.
- Balance Cash Drawer.
- Responsible for updating any financial and demographic information in the PM system.
- Keep medical charts filed in appropriate location.
- Responsible for answering phones and routing the lines.
- Ability to recognize and respect cultural diversity of patients.
- Serve as the communication liaison between patient and physician. Capable of documenting patient communication and clinical treatment accurately and appropriately.
- Recognize and respond effectively to verbal, nonverbal, and written communication.
- Ability to follow established policies and procedures dealing with health care.
- Comply with established risk management and safety procedures.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and health care team.
- Must respect the confidential nature of medical information.
- Working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Able to work efficiently and cope with emergency situations.
- Capable of using experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Able to read and interpret documents such as charts, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Professional manner and appearance.
- Emotional and physical health sufficient to meet the demands of the position.
- Strength sufficient to: lift some patients, move heavy equipment on wheels (up to approximately 500 lbs), and to move patients in wheelchairs and stretchers.
- High School Graduate or Equivalent Preferred
- One (1) year of Data Entry/Medical Office Experience Preferred
- Strong customer relations skills, and organizational skills
- Possesses willingness to accept orders and to perform repetitive tasks.
- Has awareness of the need for discretion and keeping confident matters relating to the patients and their problems.
- Good computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to read and understand oral and written directions.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish Required
Typical Physical Demands
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions associated with this position. Because we are committed to inclusion of those with disabilities, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions associated with their position.
- Carrying: Transporting an object, usually by hand, arm or shoulder.
- Lifting: Raising or lowering an object 25-50 pounds.
- Repetitive Motions: Making frequent movements with a part of the body.
- Requires working under stressful conditions or working under irregular hours.
- Exposure: To communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinical environment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to work in a moderate noise level in the work environment is required.
The information in this document is intended to describe the most important aspects of the job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required in order to perform the work. The health center reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the business need arises. Additionally, this job description is not intended as an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and the Center continues to maintain its status as an at-will employer.